Monday, April 11, 2011

Something that makes me inexplicably happy

I've always thought that making homemade jam sounded like just the most charming idea.  It makes me think of aprons and clotheslines and breezes through open windows. Pretty wholesome, right? The only thing stopping me was that canning has a language all its own. Every recipe I found contained the phrase "process in water bath." It seemed pretty important, and I didn't know what it meant. That pretty much ended my jam-making aspirations. Until several years ago, that is, when my sister-in-law taught me how to make homemade jam. I will never be able to repay her, but occasionally I ship a jar or two of my jam to her oldest son. He's partial to the apple pie jam. ;)

Our school is having a silent auction and I raided my jam pantry to put together this little sampler. I don't know if it will raise much, but I do know my husband and my father will bid on it! (Especially since my husband heard that we're now down to only one jar of apple pie jam--which is his favorite!) The other three flavors are blackberry (my personal favorite!), strawberry-banana and apricot.

I made the little tote out of scrapbook cardstock over the weekend. (This is where 1950s jam-making Wendy collides with 2011's computer-loving Wendy.)  I am so pleased with myself over this. I used clip art to make a label for the top of each jar.  There's also a fruit-themed Bible verse on each side, with--get this!--the same clip art layered under the verse. Oh, I'm a big computer deal now, huh?? (I think it took me longer to make the packaging than it took me to make the jam!!)





I know you can't read the verses in these pictures, so let me put them here, too: 
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.   Galatians 5:22-23  
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.   John 15:5
You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.   Matthew 7:16,17
And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.
Colossians 1:10

I'm just curious--which of those four jams would be your favorite?

1 comment:

Mama Nirvana said...

We only make freezer jam at our house (about 1/4 of the sugar, and I like the taste better, and it takes like three minutes to make), but I love blackberry jam. Love it! And I have to say that I love, love, love the scriptures you picked to go with your package. It just makes it extra special.

Amy