Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Daybook for May 11, 2011

For today, Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Outside my window... we are in such desperate need of rain! I thought we were going to get some yesterday, but it was only a few drops. We need buckets and buckets and buckets.
I am hearing... a UPS truck coming down our street, a sound that always makes me feel momentarily excited, until I remember that I'm not expecting anything.
I am thinking... of a couple of darling items on Etsy that could be winging their way to me if I would just click "buy." Should I do it?? Okay, if you insist!
I am thankful for... children who play nicely together (most of the time. Or even some of the time.) and a smart dog who knows when I'm in the mood to cuddle and when I'm not. 
I am wearing...yoga pants and my Strawberry Reunion 2009 T-shirt. No socks, no shoes, no jewelry. And, yet, for some reason, eyeliner, which is normally only for going out. Now I'm wondering where I thought I might be going today; do I have an appointment or errand that I've completely forgotten??
From the learning rooms...school is winding down and it's kind of sad. This has been a wonderful year. Will has a couple of projects to wrap up (a paper on the culture of Australia, an Oceania art project) and Katie will be finishing up her study of the states.
I am creating....  a grocery list. Exciting, no? After that, I have a couple of thank you cards to make & send and then I need to upload and order some photos to scrapbook.
Pondering these words... 
“Some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity…” Gilda Radner (1946-1989)

From the kitchen... I have a crockpot-full of pinto beans going for dinner. There's only one egg in the house--will it be used for cornbread or apple cake?
Around the house... We used to have a couch in the living room; now we have Mount Laundry. Really must conquer that today.
Looking ahead this week: Tomorrow is pajama day at school. If I'm helping out during lunch, should I wear pajamas, too? The thought of horrifying my children is just too delicious to pass up. The question then becomes do I have anything ratty enough to embarrass them but not so ratty that it will embarrass me??


This is a picture from a recent field trip to the Pioneer Museum in Fredericksburg. (I linked specifically to the one-room schoolhouse, not the main site; feel free to explore!) I thought all of it was really neat; but of course, the one-room schoolhouse really resonated with me.

No comments: