Thursday, March 20, 2008

I have a reader

Technically, Will has been reading for almost 2 years now. But in the last few days, he has realized that he can read. I caught him reading for pleasure after I had tucked him in. That was a glorious moment for me, and not just from my perspective as a homeschooling mom. I have loved to read for as long as I can remember and it completely thrilled me for him to make that leap from "reading is a chore to be endured during school time" to "I think I'll read this book until I get sleepy." I was still high from that incident when I got blessed with another one: we went out for Chinese food after Tae Kwon Do and at the end of the meal, he cracked open his fortune cookie and started reading it instead of passing it to me. He thinks of himself as a reader!!!

Then yesterday, more homeschool joy: he decided--completely on his own--that he wanted to write a book report on one of his favorite dinosaur books. Not realizing what he was doing, I asked if he wanted to come do something and he responded, "Yes ma'am, as soon as I finish my essay." Imagine the size of my smile. He's saying yes ma'am and writing voluntarily. Oh, life is good.

No comments: