Thursday, December 06, 2007

I dunno.

What a day! I'll skip the chaos of the morning, although it's at least as interesting as the chaos of the afternoon. Let's just summarize by saying that I have a new haircut, I did a good deed (and had a lot of fun in the process) by helping collate the women's ministry newsletters and public schools in our area had a snow day today.

Will checked out a VHS cartoon version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe from our church's library today. On the way home, I stopped at Safeway to get a handful of ingredients for the co-op potluck tomorrow. My mind was going in 100 different directions, mentally ticking through my grocery list, while also thinking of what needed to be done first when I got home, trying to distinguish between the "urgent" and the "important" (Final score: urgent 4, important 1).

I had a couple of Christmas gifts tucked in the back of the van, so I had to squeeze the groceries in between the children, who were jabbering about this and that. (Who, my kids--jabbering? Oh, yeah, my kids.) Finally get the cart returned, exchange niceties with a random lady, and jump back into the van. While I was backing out and trying to decide whether to grab some drive through cuisine, I heard William asking me, "Why does it always say the? The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe?"

Every moment is a teaching moment. It's practically the homeschooler's mantra.

"Well, honey, the is called a definite article. When we use the it means that we are talking about one specific Lion or Witch or Wardrobe."

Only I didn't say that. I was trying to not back into the cutest, slowest moving little blue-haired lady you ever saw.

I said, "I dunno, why do you think?"

I hate it when I cop out.

Luckily, he asked again when we got home, and I gave him the sparkling, precise answer about definite articles, and you know what he did? He snored. Little bugger.

Oh, and PS: If anybody ever asks if you would like to receive a newsletter or membership roster or whatever, by email instead of receiving a hard copy, think of the people who will be preparing the physical version for the mail, and say, "Yes! That would be great!"

No comments: