Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Easy Oven Caramel Corn

I made a batch of caramel corn last weekend for everybody to munch on while we decorated the Christmas tree and it turned out so spectacularly delicious that I decided to post the recipe here. I got the recipe from another Pampered Chef consultant, so you'll see references to Pampered Chef products.

2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
1/2 cup Karo (white corn syrup)
6 quarts popped popcorn (24 cups--exactly what the large stainless steel bowl holds)*
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Boil the brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and soda. Pour over the popped corn and stir well to coat popcorn with the gooey deliciousness. Put it in the roasting pan** (or a buttered cookie sheet or buttered jelly roll pan). Bake in a 200 degree oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and pour onto wax paper to cool. Store in covered containers to keep it crisp.

This stuff tastes amazing--way better than what you can buy! It makes a great Christmas gift, and there are tons of cute ways to package it up. In fact, I think you should plan to give some of each batch away, as penance for the part you eat yourself.

* or two bags of microwave popcorn. I'm not sure how much popcorn it is if you use Amy's stovetop method.

**I probably would never have attempted this recipe if I didn't have the wonderful Pampered Chef roasting pan. Seriously cannot say enough good things about it.

2 comments:

michelle said...

I think that I will try this with the kids. I can't wait to see you!

Mama Nirvana said...

For things like caramel corn and popcorn balls I always use the air popper -- I think to assuage my guilt over all of the butter and oil that will end up on the popcorn in the end.

Look so delicious!

Amy