Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What's in a name?

This is what I'm wondering today. I let William choose the name of his school, and he chose the William A*** Dinosaur Academy, known as WADA in some places. I think it's charming and completely apropos. However, with Katie joining the homeschool adventure next year, I'm obsessing over whether to let her name her own school. My money says she'll attend KAPA--the Katie A*** Princess Academy.

Or maybe, in the interest of unity, we should have one school for both children. One suggestion I often hear for naming a homeschool is to use your street name. Our current street is often mispronounced, and I just can't see calling it the Blankly Academy. On the other hand, we'll be moving in a couple of weeks, giving us the opportunity for (drumroll, please) Gangplank Academy. Um, yeah. Sounds a little coercive to me.

Another option is to name our school after a principle or philosophy. The Love of Learning Institute, or something like that, I suppose. Only around here it would be the Nobody is Getting Lunch Until This is Finished And I Mean It Day School, which obviously would not fit on a t-shirt.

I need to put more thought into this.

1 comment:

Mama Nirvana said...

I think it would be such a wonderful project for you all to come up with a name together, democratic style. I can't wait to hear what you come up with.

Amy