Sunday, May 27, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

I came across this at this blog (although apparently it actually started here) and Lord knows this would be a beneficial exercise right about now. Things I'm grateful for, in no particular order...
  • being home with William and Katie. William's bedtime story last night was called My Working Mother (which I don't recommend, by the way. It was a child telling about his mommy's job as a witch, and it just rubbed me wrong. I don't know how it got into the library bag unnoticed in the first place.). Anyway, as we read this book, I started feeling more and more unsettled over my stay-at-home status. By the time we got to the end, it was really important to me that William understand that staying at home was just as okay as working. I asked him, "Honey, do you want me to be a working mother?" (Oops, should have mentioned earlier that once William gets in bed, you better get that story read quick, because he goes to sleep--deep sleep--fast.) He forced his eyes open and mumbled, "I thought you were a working mother...doin' all the stuff...and ...stuff." That big ol' weight lifted off my shoulders and I just grinned. "I love you, bud. Goodnight!"
  • an actual Day of Rest today. I didn't nap, but it's been a relaxing day. Scott took us to Scott Lake (Pond? Something) on base and he and William fished while Katie and I played Princesses on a blanket under one of the trees. They didn't catch anything, but everybody was in a good mood, and that's remarkable. (Pictures coming in a future post)
  • the amazing year William and I have had. We still have about 2 1/2 weeks before we will be finished for the year, and I am confident that we'll be done before we move. Everybody and their cousin has asked if we'll be homeschooling again next year. I love being able to say with complete sincerity that it was the best year of my life. And this is how good God is--since Creation Corner has finished for the year, Katie has willingly and happily joined in our school day. I had been worried about how that would work--both while we wrap up William's Kindergarten year and next year, when I have both of them all day, every day.
  • I have the best friends in the world. (Literally. They're scattered all over the world.)
  • Beau taught me how to make migas and I am planning to make it Tuesday night. I don't think I've ever been so excited about scrambled eggs in my life.

3 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Oh my goodness, those look good. I love eggs and beans together. I love reading about your homeschool experience. It is really inspiring.

Amy

The Mom said...

What a wonderful list :) Thanks for joining in - I love reading everyone's gratitude lists on Sunday - it is so uplifting :) It's been an added bonus to starting GOG that not only am I uplifed from writing my own lists each week, but I get to read what others are grateful for, as well :)

Nice to have you posting grains of gratitude :) Let me know if you continue to do it, I'd love to stop by and check your lists out :)

Joyful Days said...

I love to read about others being grateful!

Even though you didn't like the My Working Mother story, it sounds like it had a happy ending at your house. Very sweet.

Nice to "meet" you!