Sunday, September 03, 2006

My August Roundup

(This idea comes from Katie the Scrapbook Lady)

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
A Common Life
by Jan Karon. This is the book in the Mitford series where the preacher finally marries his neighbor. I'll probably get struck by lightning for saying this, but I really dislike these books. And I knew that when I checked it out of the library, but I wanted to get something for myself, and I had about 60 seconds before Katie & William were going to start taking the place apart. William checked out 2 dinosaur books and a shark book. The shark book was for Scott. Will wanted to get him book about boats but saw this one first and decided it was close enough. I picked up this month's Simple Scrapbooks magazine on impulse and now I remember how much I love it.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
Talledega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby
was the most fun I had all month. Angie, Lona, Michelle, Maria and Will Ferrell. I want to take Scott back to see it, and I want to buy it the day it's released on DVD. Seriously. I've been making daily visits to rickybobby.com just to watch the clips and I laugh like a demented person. "Dear Lord Baby Jesus...thank you for the always delicious Taco Bell."

What special days did I observe?

It was very, very special to be with Kara for her father's funeral. I admire her so much.

Maria the Magnificent had her birthday on the 9th. I have yet to get her present to her, but I did give her a gushy card I made for her.

What fun things did I do with my friends and family?
Jana & Angie hosted a Tastefully Simple party early in the month. I loaded up on Nana's Apple Cake mixes, Wheat Beer Bread and this unbelievable Almond Pound Cake. The pound cake is supposed to be for my mom, but if I don't get it in the mail extra-pronto we're going to have a problem, because it is calling my name. William, Katie & I popped down to Little Rock for a week (and then some) with Nana & Terry. It was hot in Little Rock!!! We got to swim at their pool and play at this super-cool new place for kids called "The Wonder Place." I hosted Stamp Club this month (cha-CHING) and absolutely cannot wait to get all the stuff in. I am compulsively checking my email to see if it's available to pick up yet. It was a slow month for movie-going; we only saw Ricky Bobby.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I got William a real school desk and chair for WADA (William Aebi's Dinosaur Academy). I got a screaming good deal on both the desk & the chair, but the shipping ate me alive. I don't even care, though; he loves it and is happy as a clam when he sits there.
What were this month’s disappointments?

What were my accomplishments this month?
I finally got a driver's license, after driving around for 8 months with an expired Hawaii license. Less than a week later, I was almost in a bad wreck and one of my first thoughts was, "If that idiot had hit me, this license wouldn't have done me a bit of good!!"
I am going to put "Officially starting to homeschool" in this category, although it would also fit into special days I observed, fun things I did with family and special/unusual purchases.


No comments: