Thursday, July 07, 2011

It's like a dream come true!

 I have, according to my husband, "too many books." Scott and I are very much alike in very many ways, but as the saying goes, if two people are exactly alike, one of them is unnecessary.  This would be one of the areas that keeps him from being unnecessary. I mean, is that a crazy idea or what--too many books?? (Just typing that, I was a little surprised that spell-check didn't squiggly-underline "too many books" because it just does not compute.)

Fortunately for me, Scott stopped fighting that battle a couple of moves ago. He gets that my books make me happy, and he gets that getting between me and my books makes HIM unhappy. So when I saw this idea on Pinterest, I just about swooned with delight. Then I spent about a week thinking about nothing else. Finally I decided it was worth mentioning to Scott.


 We converted the closet in the office/schoolroom into a library! Cutest thing ever, right??


Originally I had envisioned actually building shelves in the closet, which would have made the whole project way more complicated. (And more expensive, I learned after a fact-finding trip to Lowe's.) We happened to be near an IKEA a couple of weeks ago and found these bookcases, which were the perfect height and width for the closet. (Bonus: there are few things my son loves more than assembling something from IKEA.)


After Will & Scott got it the bookcases assembled, they took out the plastic closet rod and shelf, slid the bookcases into place and stood back to admire the finished project. Scott said it looked so good that he wanted to just leave the closet doors open all the time now. Then he looked at the paned doors leading into the office and I could see the wheels turning in his mind. I just stood quietly, holding my breath, because he was on his way to deciding on his own to do what I secretly wanted. (Don't you love when that happens?) In no time at all, he had switched the doors and started congratulating himself on his brilliant idea. Love. That. Man.

 The books are divided into broad categories that fit most of the books we have or are likely to buy (Children's, Faith, Homeschool, Fiction, Reference, Writing/Creativity, etc.). I toyed with the idea of the Dewey Decimal system, and then I remembered that nobody in this house, including me, would make any effort at all to maintain a system like that.  Obviously, I have a long way to go before I'm completely moved into it. Right now I'm just enjoying sitting at my desk, looking into my library.

I'm saving up for one of these and then I don't think I'll be able to stand the perfection.

No comments: