Monday, July 14, 2008

Cool Kids, defined


"A cool kid stands like this." Will told me one day, leaning against the wall a la Danny Zuko in Grease. His heelies slipped a little and he flailed his arms to recover his balance. He looked at me sheepishly. "It's harder than it looks. That's why there aren't many cool kids."

Then last weekend, he and his dad went to see Journey to the Center of the Earth. In 3-D. Oh, mercy. They were both so hyped up afterward. "It was so cool!! Things were flying off the screen toward me, and I really thought I could catch them!!" (It was Scott, the alleged adult, who said that.) Will was so enamored with his 3-D glasses that he amended his definition of cool kids to include wearing sunglasses. He has several other pairs that, um, fit but his 3-D glasses are by far the coolest.

Can't wait to see what he adds next. And for the record, I think he's a cool kid, regardless.

No comments: