Wednesday, January 16, 2008

From an old journal

In 2002, when I was pregnant with Katie (and apparently feeling a tad hormonal), I ranted for more than a full page in my journal about how I was sick to death of watching my sainted mother eat oatmeal every blessed morning for breakfast. Every morning I would see that bowl and my eye would start to twitch. She would load it up with raisins, cinnamon and almonds--and I have to confess it smelled inviting--but I longed to be surprised one morning by seeing her enjoy an egg...or a bagel...or even a Pop-Tart. It never happened, and now that I'm not pregnant and hormonal, I'm simultaneously amused and horrified that I was able to work myself into such a snit over somebody else's breakfast choices.

Especially because now in 2008, I have become obsessed with oatmeal. I've eaten it every morning for the last week--which is more times than I've eaten it in the last year. One night I even lay in bed with my mouth watering, thinking about getting up and making oatmeal because I didn't think I could wait until morning. Want to know the secret of to-die-for oatmeal bliss? Add a tablespoon of peanut butter and 10 or 12 chocolate chips and stir. Hey, you got your Reese's cup on my oatmeal! No, you got your oatmeal on my Reese's cup!

I'm turning into my mother.

2 comments:

Joyful Days said...

I've had times like that. Maybe not over oatmeal--just things. My sister is on an oatmeal kick. I'll have to tell her the peanut butter & chocolate additions!

Unknown said...

I never thought about adding anything to my oatmeal other than milk and sugar, I think I may have used honey a time or two.

If I don't get my nightly Cream of Wheat fix lately, I can't sleep. And it's so not healthy, because I'm fine hours before I go to bed, not wanting Cream of Wheat, so I skip it. And voila! Half an hour before sleep time, and I'm wanting it. I gotta have it. I will hurt someone over it. So I make it, consume it, then go to sleep. I think it has taken to hanging out on my thighs since I don't have time to walk it off before it gets comfy!