Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Out of sorts

Is it really only Tuesday? I feel like I've lived a year in the last three days. Everything just seems a hair off of where it should be. Some things are much more than that. A family at our old church lost their dad in Iraq last week and I've hardly been able to think of anything else since I heard about it. I cried on and off all day yesterday for this family, mostly for their son, who Maria teaches in Sunday School. Fourth grade Sunday School. Don't let yourself think about that for more than a few seconds or, if you're anything like me, you will fall completely to pieces.

I was able to occassionaly distract myself from crying over that heartbreaking tragedy by obsessing over the airline tickets we just bought to fly home for Christmas. I had managed to work myself into quite a dither by the time Scott got home last night, and was literally sick to my stomach all evening. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Note to self: find a place to board Krypto the week of Christmas today or we'll have to drive her to Richmond. Assuming we won't have to do that already.

There is absolutely nothing that I can do about either of these situations--well, okay, pray for the family, obviously--so I decided to put on a brave face and start today fresh. Woke up and it was pouring rain. Lovely. That's okay; it's not supposed to rain all day, so we can still run errands this afternoon as planned. If my mother taught me anything, it's that a healthy breakfast is the best way to start the day, so I decided to make the kids hard-boiled eggs. When I took the first carton out, it was heavy, so I knew without opening it that it was the newer carton. I'm so smart. I put it back and found the older carton. It only had 5 eggs left, so while I waited for the water to boil, I tried to figure out if I should give Will & Katie 2 eggs, and only 1 for me, or if Katie would want 3 and then Will and I would only get one each. Maybe I should just skip the eggs and let the kids have 2 1/2 each. Eventually--duh!--I remembered that I still had 18 eggs in the fridge. That's what I mean about everything being out of sorts. I'm not a ditzy person; I just don't seem to have the mental capabilities to deal with simple things.

I've been working on some cards for our monthly Stampin' Up stamp club. They are simple, but adorable. They should have taken an hour--maybe an hour and a half--to complete. It's been over a week, and I'm roughly half-way done. It's ridiculous, and I'm tired of looking at the stupid things.

I think I need to do a kickboxing video or something to shake some of these cobwebs out of my brain!

1 comment:

Mama Nirvana said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your week -- I can't imagine going through either thing (grieving for a family or grieving over the mini-fortune spent and craziness of holiday travel).

Hang in there.

Amy