Monday, August 27, 2007

Meal Plan Monday, week of August 27


Monday: Enchilada soup, carried over from last week (recipe posted below)
Tuesday: Spaghetti & meatballs
Wednesday: Tacos & refried beans (double portions to feed the freezer*)
Thursday: Chicken Piccata from Rachael Ray's Express Lane cookbook
Friday: Hawaiian night--teriyaki beef, sticky rice, macaroni salad, haupia (coconut pudding) or maybe coconut pie

Enchilada Soup (slightly modified from Bill Phillips' Eating for Life cookbook)
Warm 1 T. olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add and saute 6 cloves garlic (minced) and
1 T. chopped cilantro for about 3 minutes. Chop 4 corn tortillas in 1-inch pieces and add to pot; saute another 5 minutes. Chop about 2 pounds of chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and add to pot, along with 15 oz. tomato sauce, 2 chopped onions, 6 cups chicken broth, 6 oz. tomato paste, 2 cups water, 1 T. cumin, 2 t. chili powder and 2 bay leaves. Bring all to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and add cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, remove bay leaves and serve soup topped with shredded cheese, diced avocado, baked tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips. I add a dollop of sour cream, too, but I'm sure Bill Phillips doesn't. Ever. I must be overly cautious with the cayenne pepper because this is never kicky when I make it, but it's nice & comforting and freezes well. What more can you ask of soup?


*Last week I made a roast to feed the freezer but apparently I made it too yummy. Scott ate THREE helpings at dinner and took another generous helping to work for lunch. Ten years we've been married; he's never had three helpings of anything. The freezer meal turned out to be enough for one big sandwich or two kinda-skimpy ones. Oh, well. I was flattered.

5 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

We love that recipe! I'm loving your meal plans.

Amy

Nicole said...

Thanks for stopping by my page! I've bookmarked the recipe. Can't wait to try it!!!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Oopps, So sorry!... thought I got it from you. I tried to remove the comment, but "no can do" hehe

Joyful Days said...

I am going to try that recipe!