Friday, September 01, 2006

What happens in Vegas...

...only stays in Vegas if you DON'T TAKE PICTURES. Secret-Keeping 101, guys.

I was out of town for a couple of days and Scott absolutely put me to shame with his Fun Daddy routine. They were very forthcoming about the trips to the park, Chuck E Cheese, father/son tire-kicking errands, etc., so I had a fairly accurate idea of what went on while I was gone. Or I thought I did, until I saw these pictures:

Not one soul mentioned this photo shoot to me, which makes me suspect that these pictures-- particularly the snake one, since William thinks I am scared to death of snakes--were taken to surprise me the next time I emptied pictures off the camera. Silly, silly family. Am I the only sane one around here?? (Wait, don't answer that.)

My trip was a mixture of support mission and self-indulgent getaway. I really felt honored to take Kara all the hugs everyone sent. If everyone who wanted to come had been able to come, we would have had to caravan to Sprindale for the funeral. Despite the sad circumstances, getting to spend time with Kara, Heather and Michelle was a delight. There were a couple of times that we were laughing so hard I thought we might get thrown out. (Thompson? Johnson?! Does it split?) And, of course, there were a couple of times we all cried together. As Kara walked in to the funeral beside her mom, Heather leaned over to me and whispered, "Doesn't she look beautiful?" She did, of course, because she *is* beautiful. I have never wanted to see John T. standing next to her more than I did at that moment, though. (His mom, dad & brother Hodge were there from Cabot, but John had to fly back to Germany the day before Mr. Myer died so he can get ready to deploy in 2 weeks. Every time it crosses my mind, my heart breaks and I want to kick the Air Force's dinner rolls.)

It took us right at 6 hours to drive to Springdale, but interestingly took us more than 9 hours to drive home. We seemed to stop for anything and everything, from looking for property in Bella Vista to tracking down apple butter and from candy factories to a sit-down dinner. By the time we got home, we were very ready to see our families! Everybody was asleep when I got home, but Katie woke up about 1:00 am and stumbled to Scott's side of the bed for a cuddle. I asked him to move her to the middle and she squealed "MOMMY!" and we cuddled and whispered for a few minutes before she fell asleep again.

The next morning, William & Katie woke up wanting Lucky Charms. I'm still not sure who finished off the box while I was gone, but whoooo boy, somehow it was all my fault. Miss Thing, who had been so happy I was back, stomped her foot and growled, 'oooh! You are the Worst. Mommy. EVER!" Whaddaya gonna do?!

No comments: