Monday, December 14, 2009

Cranberry Waldorf Salad (by special request)

This recipe comes from my mother-in-law, Sharon. It started out as a must-have holiday dish in Scott's family and once my family tasted it, it became a must-have for us, too. So, without further adieu, I present....

Cranberry Waldorf Salad

2 cups fresh cranberries
3 cups miniature marshmallows
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups diced, peeled apples
1/2 cup seedless purple grapes*
1/2 cup broken walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream

Chop cranberries and combine with marshmallows and sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (This is absolutely critical. I cannot overstate the importance of letting the cranberries "pickle" in the sugar. If you skip this step, abandon your plan to have Cranberry Waldorf Salad.) The next morning, add the apples, grapes, walnuts and salt. Whip the cream (The recipe doesn't call for the cream to be whipped with sugar and a splash of vanilla, but that's how I do it.) Fold the cream into the salad and chill.

* Normally I am a staunch supporter of green grapes. Cranberry Waldorf Salad is the only reason I ever buy purple grapes.

Cranberry Waldorf Salad, front and center
Actually, now that I look at this plate of indescribable yumminess, I should probably share all these recipes. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I love purple grapes so much I can't even LOOK at green grapes anymore. I've thought more than once that they should really stop selling green grapes because who would eat them? They're in the same boat as SEEDED grapes. Really...who needs that?

Unknown said...

Hooray!!! The recipe!!! And yes, do the rest. Something about the squash being spicy???

alb