Friday, December 08, 2006

It makes me [sic]

This tongue twister was on my son's McDonald's Happy Meal bag: Terry Teranadon took ten trips. (It's PteranOdon, darlings. Is it not somebody's McJob to spell check the bag?)

This sentence was in a paperback I just finished: "Your engaged!" (Or maybe it said "Your pregnant!" My eye started twitching after the 'your' so I can't quite be sure.)

I find small mistakes like these all the time and it annoys me. It would not have been any more trouble to just get it right. Beyond being annoyed by the carelessness of editors and bag designers, I am annoyed by my own hypervigilence. It's not that I get all in a snit over every error and typo I see, but I do notice that they jump out at me. It may be a trait I inherited from my father; it may be the result of all those years of working on the yearbook and writing papers. Either way, it seems that I am not able to NOT notice.

Several years ago I read an article that said we become desensitized to errors as we see them more and more often, and that's one way the English language evolves. (Or devolves, depending on how you look at it.) When I read internet message boards, I just cringe when I see messages typed without capitalization or punctuation. seriously ppl dont u understand that u r endangering our collective ability to communicate clearly effectively and correctly?

No comments: